World Trauma Day – The Dangers Of Texting And Driving
They say, “We cannot prevent accidents.”. But the truth is that we cannot prevent ALL accidents. Some accidents you can prevent just by being more cautious and responsible. On this Trauma Day, 2018, we will look into one very irresponsible thing that we do – using a phone while driving. Whether it’s a phone call or texting or checking Instagram feed – all of these are equally dangerous.
So, let’s be sensible – stop using cell phone while driving. Today, the 17th of October is World Trauma Day – let’s start safe driving today!
Cell phone has become an integral part of our lives and no one is denying the importance of that. Yet, it’s just a gadget, an assistive device. But unfortunately, we think that it’s a part of our arm.
This small device can become fatal if you can’t put it down at least when you are driving. Some people use a cell phone even while driving, just because they want to be available to other people all the time! Seriously, how is that a wise practise? It’s not!
We know accidents are drastically increasing day by day due to cell phone usage while driving. No wonder, the government has introduced harsher penalties including cancellation of driving license for disobeying the traffic rules. And even then we are seeing many people still using cell phone while driving. Please understand that it is not about the legal penalties, it about the innocent lives we lose daily due to accidents. It’s not just your life putting into danger but also the lives of other innocent people who just involved in the same accident. These accidents are causing severe injuries, which damages your whole lifestyle.
Many facts show that thousands of people lose their lives due to accidents, most of which are due to cell phone usage while driving.
- Recent statistics show that there were more than 3000 deaths every year in India due to cell phone while driving.
- Around 35%-40% of teenage people are involved in accidents due to cell phone usage when driving.
- Even 30% of adults aged below 45 are involved in accidents while texting or attending phone calls while driving.
Why Is Using Cell Phone During Driving Dangerous?
When you are using a cell phone while driving, there were a lot of chances in colliding with dividers or other vehicles. The drivers who use cell phone during driving are involving pedestrians and animals also in the crash injuring them during the same.
It’s not only death that you should fear, you may also be left handicapped for your entire life if you get involved in a crash.
So, what leads to a collision when you use cell phone while driving? Let’s find out.
When it comes to driving your total concentration should be on the roads. When you try to operate phone for texting or attending a call while driving your concentration gets shifted and you can’t control the wheeling of your car or bike. So, using a cell phone while driving can distract your focus and may lead to deadly injuries or even loss of life.
People drive irregularly while using cell phone due to lo to lack of concentration – they even put others at a risk of crash and injury. They will fail to give proper indications; they miss out the road signs; they change the lanes unevenly etc. Thus, irregular driving patterns are extremely dangerous to everyone even to pedestrians, animals and other drivers.
Let’s say, you are on an aggressive or stressful conversation over the phone while you are driving. Your emotional state can manifest in your actions also leading aggressive driving.
Even if use cell phone when you are at halt due to a red signal, you will not be aware of the signals. When vehicles start moving again, you start driving irregularly in a hurry which can lead collision with other vehicles.
So, What’s The Alternative? How To Safely Use Phone In Roads?
Every life is valuable. Avoid accidents and save lives by following these safety measures:
- Parents need to provide awareness and safety measures to teens – they should not text or take a call while driving their car or two-wheeler.
- Complete the call or texting before you start riding your car or bike.
- If get a call in between your ride it is recommended to stop your vehicle aside and then take it.
- If it is a highly urgent condition to use a cell phone while driving, it is recommended that you use a Bluetooth headset or earpiece. So, both of your hands will still be on the steering. But remember, it’s only for urgent needs.
- Switching off your mobile while driving is best and the most recommended to everyone to avoid accidents.Reports on traffic accidents are burdened with cases related to cell phone and driving. It is sad that even the people who are aware of the risks related to this activity are reluctant to abide by the rules.
You must realise that safety rules are meant for YOUR SAFETY and not for the police to penalise you. So, let’s be sensible – stop using cell phone while driving; drive safely!
About The Doctor:
Having the distinction of being one of the first 50 trained emergency physicians in India, Dr Siddharth Marda is a passionate Emergency Physician. He is trained under the legendary Prof TVR in a prestigious medical institute in South India. He is the critical factor behind Premier Hospital’s Emergency Department receiving “The Centre for Excellence in Emergency Medicine” award. He has a keen interest in Trauma, infectious diseases, and Cardiac arrest and has been a faculty and speaker at various national conferences.
About The Hospital:
Since the inception of Premier Hospital in 1991 till today, we have grown to unprecedented levels, due to our excellence in medical sciences and healthcare. Premier Hospital is the creation of Dr Mahesh Marda and when it was first established, was only a small, 30-bed hospital facility. Back then, we provided only secondary care to patients, but that certainly has changed in the present landscape.
- Best Doctors for Trauma cases in Hyderabad
- Best Emergency Hospital in Hyderabad
- Best Emergency hospital near me
- Best Trauma Center in Gachibowli Hyderabad
- Best trauma specialist near me
- Precautions While Driving
- Safe Driving Tips
- Safety Measures While Driving
- Specialists for Trauma Care in Hyderabad
- World Trauma Day
YOU MIGHT ALSO LIKE
May 17, 2022
May 16, 2022
May 12, 2022
May 08, 2022
May 03, 2022
April 25, 2022
April 10, 2022
April 09, 2022
April 07, 2022
Ask a Query
National Dengue Day is observed in India on May 16
Nurses a voice to lead invest in nursing and respe
Right from the start, mothers were the ones who nu
Free Health Camp By Premier Hospital For Senior Ci