by Premier Hospitals | December 9, 2020 |
Personal hygiene always starts and ends with our hands. Although from our childhood, we're taught to wash our hands thoroughly before dinner. But it's important to recognize that germs don't care about the time of the day, so it is essential to clean your hands frequently. Clean hands will prevent you from sickness.
So it's essential to learn some basic tips about hand hygiene so that you can prevent the effects of some dangerous virus-like COVID19. Coronavirus affected millions of people and took many lives all around the world. The virus mainly spread from one person to another through unhygienic hands. Let's explore some handy tips in the honour of National Handwashing Awareness Week, which commemorates every year in the first week of December.
Activities Of National Handwashing Awareness Week
Do it right
Experts recommend hand washing regularly for at least 20 seconds is the best way to remove germs, avoid getting sick, and prevent the spreading of germs to others. Whether you are at work, travelling, or at home, learn handwashing with soap and water so that you can protect yourself and your family.
Especially during the Coronavirus (COVID19) pandemic, keeping your hands clean is highly necessary to prevent the virus from spreading.
Remember the five steps.
The "Centers for Disease Control and Prevention" organization calls handwashing as "a do-it-yourself vaccine" and remiss of five easy steps
The four golden principles of hand awareness
- Wet - wet your hands
- Lather - use foam or soap
- Scrub - use a scrubber
- Rinse - wash your hands
- Dry - use a dry towel
The American Medical Associations around the world endorsed the four golden principles of hand washing.
Facts About Germs on your hand
- Wash your hands before eating
- Wash your hands when frequently, especially when you use restrooms
- Don't cough or sneeze into your hands
- Don't put your unclean fingers in your eyes, nose, or mouth.
Do you know?
- Germs survive more than 3 hours on your hands
- Around 2 to 10 million bacteria are found on your fingertips and elbows
- The germs on your fingertips even double after using the toilet
- If you don't wash your hands, the germs transfer from your hands into the food and drinks you consume.
- When your hands are wet, they can spread 1,000 times more germs than dry hands.
- One germ can reproduce into 8 million germs in a single day.
- Nearly 80% of disease-causing germs are spreading through your hands.
- Experts say that you can find more germs on your phone, keyboard, and cutting board compared to a toilet seat.
- 1 out of every 5 people don't wash hands, and people who wash, only 30% of them use soap.
There are 10,000 bacteria per square inch on purses and handbags, and 30% of them are fecal bacteria.\
Facts about hand hygiene
- The Centers for Disease Control & Prevention board says that handwashing can prevent diarrhea-related illnesses in 1 out of 3 people and infections like flu in 1out of 5 people.
- Nearly 1.4 million children below the age of 5 die due to diarrheal diseases and pneumonia â the deadly twin diseases in children worldwide.
- The Centre for Disease Control reports that only 31% of men and 65% of women are washing hands after using a public restroom.
- Hand Wash creates a way to health - usage of antibiotics creates antibiotic resistance. Hand Washing can prevent many dangerous diseases so that you may need less antibiotics - less antibiotic resistance.
- Typically when a human sneezes, it exits about 200 miles/hour and emits nearly 40,000 droplets into the atmosphere.
Healthy hands always lead to a healthy life, and a healthy life makes happy homes. We touch different things daily, and just imagine how many people touched those things with their hands. Some might have a clean, but most of the hands are uncleaned and diseased may be. Wash your hands frequently and preserve your health by preventing the spread of dangerous microbes.
We, Premier Hospital, always care for people's health. On this special occasion of this national handwashing awareness week, our doctors wanted to educate you on the above facts and make you people to follow hand hygiene.